10 Interesting Facts About Logistics
The transportation and logistics industry has become one of the major factors in boosting business efficiency by facilitating trade. In the past few years, it has taken the center stage in boosting the competitiveness and connectivity of the nations across the world. In this regard, transportation and logistics are vital to the economic development of a country. Let’s take a look at a few interesting facts regarding the logistics industry:
1. The transport and logistics industry comprise of total 6 sectors. This includes railway, maritime, road transport, storage, and warehousing sectors. The transport and logistics industry is one of the largest industries in the world.
2. In the USA, manufactured and retailed goods worth $671 billion are transported through trucks. About 70% of the total freight transported annually is through trucks. In other words, a major portion of the US economy is heavily dependent on trucks.
3. According to the American Trucking Association, there are over 3 million truck drivers in America. It reports that to move 9.2 billion tons of freight, it takes almost 3 heavy duty trucks. More than 37 billion gallons of fuel is consumed by the transportation and logistics industry in America.
4. According to the American Trucking Association, in 2015, the trucking industry generated revenue of $726.4 billion. In that year, trucks moved at least 10 billion tons of freight.
5. A data by American Trucking Association shows that there is a major crisis of truck drivers in America. It predicted that by 2020, this shortage will be near about 150,000 while by 2024, it could be as high as 174,500.
6. A data released by American Trucking Association in 2016 reveals that the transportation and logistics industry employs about 7.3 billion people. This means, one out of every 16 American citizen works in this industry.
7. The ATA mentions that in 2015, the trucking industry constituted about 81.5% of the country’s freight bill. During that year, the trucking industry was a $726.48 billion industry in the USA.
8. In 2014, the trucking industry paid total $39.9 billion as federal and state highway tax. It represented 12.1% of the total vehicles on road during that year.
9. Do you know that in 2015, the trucking industry in the USA consumed 54.3 billion gallons of diesel and gasoline? On the basis of total consumption and price, the trucking industry spent $142.9 billion during that year.
10. The ATA further reported that in 2015, trucks were the busiest mode of freight transportation. In that year, the trucking industry moved about 10.49 billion tons of freight which constitute total 70.1% of the total freight in the USA. Trucking sector was followed by the Railways which moved 13.8% of the nation’s total freight.
Hopefully, this will give you a good idea about the logistics and transportation sector in the USA. If you are looking for good Logistics consulting firms, contact our expert logistics consultants at http://linqpartners.com/contact-us/