10 Trucking Industry Facts That You Didn’t Know Before
The trucking industry plays a major role in the US economy. It employs about 8.9 million people in the United States of America and serves almost 80% of all the communities. We hope you can guess its extent and reach. To take your interest to the next level, here we discuss a few tidbits about the trucking industry:
1. In 2013, professional truck drivers drove more than 275 billion miles. This figure is the exact double of what it was 25 years ago.
2. The majority of the long-haul drivers drive 100,000 to 110,000 miles per year. The class 7 truck drivers have an average of 52,000 miles on wheels.
3. In 2013, the Trucking industry in the United States of America consumed about 52.7 billion gallons of diesel and gasoline. According to the American Trucking Association, in 2013, motor carriers spent about $147.7 billion in terms of consumption and price.
4. About 3.46 million Class 8 trucks run on the roads of the United States of America. About 1.7 million commercial trailers were registered in the year 2012.
5. There are about 725,179 private carriers in the country and 465,697 for-hire carriers. 97.3 % of them operate less than 20 trucks and about 90.6% of them have 6 trucks or less.
6. In 2014, the trucking industry hauled almost 9.96 billion tons of freight which are 68.8% of the total freight hauled in the United States of America.
7. In 2014, the trucking industry was a $700 billion industry. It represents 80.3% of the total freight bill of the nation.
8. Do you know that more that 80% of the US communities rely on trucking industry for delivering goods and other commodities?
9. If we talk about taxes then in 2013, the trucking industry paid $37.3 billion in state and federal highway taxes. It represented about 12.0% of the total vehicles on the road. In the same year, the trucking industry paid $ 16.5 billion for the federal highway-user tax and about $20.8 billion for the state highway-user tax.
10. The US economy heavily relies on trucking services for its annual freight transport. Approximately $671 billion worth of retail and manufactured goods are transported by trucks in the country. It transports $295 billion worth of goods to Canada through trucks and $195.6 billion to Mexico.
Hopefully, you enjoyed these facts. Looking for trucking consulting firms to help you take your business to the next level? Get in touch with us. We have extensive experience as a consultant group in the transportation and logistics industry and know what it takes to make your business profitable. Call us at 800-913-5467 today.